When Apple released the iPhone X with Face ID, there was a limitation: you can only use one face. This means that if you wanted someone else to be able to unlock your device (like a significant other in case of emergency), or if you just look really different with glasses or sunglass, a hat, or even a face mask, then you may run into issues unlocking the best iPhone or iPad with Face ID.
Fortunately, Apple has added the ability to add a second or backup person to Face ID in iOS 12 and later.
You also can’t limit the second person’s permissions; both IDs will have near-instant, total access to that iPhone or iPad Pro. So be certain the second person is worthy of your trust.
Whatever your circumstances, you need to know how to add a second Face ID profile to your iPhone or iPad Pro. So let’s dive right into it.
Face ID allows two faces or appearances to be added to your iPhone or iPad. Here’s how to set up the feature.
How to set up a second face in iPhone or iPad
Setting up facial recognition for a second appearance or person is pretty much the same process as when you originally configured Face ID. Here are the steps you need to take.
- Open Settings and select Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your passcode.
- Tap Set Up an Alternative Appearance.
- Read the instructions, then tap Get Started.
- Scan your face as normal, or have your partner scan theirs.
- When the first scan is complete, tap Continue.
- Scan your face a second time, then tap Done to complete the process.With that, you’ve added a second Face ID! If you want to limit what that person can do with their Face ID, go back to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.